fredag 17 oktober 2008

"GÄST-INLÄGG" (saxat/snott/återlämnas ej!)

Validation
OCTOBER 16, 2008
by Charlie Engle
Yesterday was far and away the best day of this journey for me. I woke up in the RV to a driving rain and cold temperatures. Usually this would bring about the dreaded whine “I don’t want to get up”. But today was going to be different. I could just feel it. I knew that this day was the one I had been waiting for. In fact, you could say that I “needed” this day desperately.

Today I was going to the elementary school in Sidney Iowa to help them launch their “Walking to Wellness” program. I say that’s the reason I was going but its not really true. The truth is that I needed their energy. About two weeks ago I had to abandon my attempt to break the record for the fastest crossing of America. When that happened I really felt I had lost my purpose for this journey. I was just muddling along doing the best I could. But for better of worse, I need to feel like I am really doing something to make a difference. Yesterday, I found what I was looking for.

I arrived at an intersection about a mile outside of Sidney and there stood a handful of kids and teachers to run with me (yes I said RUN) all the way to town. This was Mrs. Wehling’s class and I have been anxiously waiting to meet them for a long time. They only really know me as a runner and I decided that they would see me as a runner. So I dropped off the bike and got back on my feet. (Shhh….don’t tell Dr. Paul) We ran into town and there I was met by the rest of the school and faculty. Everyone, including me, was wearing the beautiful bright green shirts provided by News-2-You. The shirt says, RUN CHARLIE RUN on it. We ran as a chaotic bright green group of hundreds around the town square and then on to the school. Never in my life had I been surrounded by such an abundance of pure joy and happiness. The energy was off the charts. A couple of little girls grabbed my hands and we walked and ran and talked all the way to the school. There was not a minute when I wasn’t surrounded by dozens of kids hurling questions at me nonstop. It was fantastic and feel like I could have run 100 miles around that town square.

Then the kids went to their classrooms and I went around and gave each student a small bracelet with a plastic foot on it. Their goal is to collectively run 3106 miles (and then more) to match the miles that Marshall and I will cover. To do this they have to run around their play area 7 times to make one mile and then record their laps in the classroom. Each time they individually cover 2 miles, they get another foot to add to their bracelet. It was a GREAT IDEA and one that should and could be emulated around the country.

After that, we made our way to the auditorium where I got the chance to really talk to the kids about health and fitness and running and life. They asked great questions and funny ones and they gave me gifts of cookies and t-shirts. Their enthusiasm was was so infectious that I felt like my body was kind of humming. This was the feeling that I had been looking for. Actually it is the feeling that I NEED to validate what I am doing. I am just a person like everyone else and I need the positive reinforcement to be reminded that I am on the right track. We all need that sometimes.

After the assembly it was off to the cafeteria for tater tot casserole, green beans and fruit and milk. All in all, it was a good meal and I wandered around making sure that everyone ate their green beans. I had forgotten about the volume of sound that a bunch of kids can generate in a big room with a high ceiling. It was wonderful.

So I said my goodbyes to everyone and headed to the parking lot so that I could leave. But my ride was delayed in taking me back to the route so I just hung around reliving the experience with my crew. Then the doors to the school burst open and out poured loads of kids heading to the play area to do some laps. I ran over and joined in and before I knew it, most of the kids had covered at least one mile and many of them went two miles. The teachers just watched in awe as these kids did what really comes naturally, RUN and PLAY and LAUGH.

During my time at the school I became completely engulfed in the feeling of being a kid myself. That is what I call true freedom of the soul. It is exactly what I needed to be reminded that I am on the right path. I have said often that “when a person wants something badly enough, the world will conspire to make it happen”. (quote from the Alchemist). The problem is that I thought what I wanted was to break a record. The world had other plans for me and if I will just get on board and stop fighting, then I am given exactly what I need right when I need it.

I will never forget my day in Sidney and the time with the kids.
Thanks so much to Mrs. Shannon Wehling and her kids for making it happen. And thanks to the whole school for making me feel so good. You guys are awesome and I am so proud of you for deciding to exercise and eat better and live a better life. I will be coming back to check on you so don’t quit.

I am a different person today.

Charlie

Läs mer på www.runningamerica08.com

Inga kommentarer: